Herbal Supplements for Health
Herbal supplements are not new, and are sometimes referred to botanicals. The use of plants for medical benefit is always a good idea; however not for everyone. Of course there are different opinions about the use of herbal supplements and its effects. These plants have been used for thousands of years for medical treatment but may not benefit everyone with a disease or chronic illness. So, before using any herbal supplements, it is important to know the benefits of herbal supplements for health.
What are Herbal Supplements?
Herbal supplements are a major type of dietary supplement, which contains some parts of plants or herb plants. The aim of that included herbs plants is to use it for its scent, flavor or for therapeutic purposes. Leaves, roots, seeds, fruit, bark, stems and roots from widely used plants can be used alone or mixed together to yield a different outcome. These days there are various herbal supplements for health available out there in the market. A botanical or herb is a plant or a part of plant that is used for its scent, flavor and therapeutic effects.
Are Herbal Supplements Safe?
It’s the burning question of today, and many people want to know the answer. Manufacturers of herbal supplements are responsible for making sure that the claims they make for their products are not false or misleading. However, these manufacturers are not required to submit this information and evidence to the FDA. So, be a smart consumer and do not solely rely on these products… be objective in your research. And although the FDA has certain rules and regulations for herbal products, they do not ask manufacturers to get their herbal products approved before marketing it to consumers. It is important to know that just because many herbal products are “natural” they are not always safe. There are some herbs that are known for having serious health damaging side effects that are known to cause serious liver damage. So do the research before using herbal supplements for health benefits.
Herbal Supplements for Health Benefits
Herbal supplements act the same way as other allopathic drugs. There are numerous plants that are used for the treatment of various diseases and medical conditions. Again, always follow labeled instructions, recommendations and suggestions from your doctor and/or pharmacist before taking herbal supplements. With that said, lets have a look at some health benefits of herbal supplements:
- Milk Thistle is known to lower the liver inflammation in children undergoing extensive chemotherapy
- Ginkgo is known to improve memory and is used in Alzheimer’s disease
- Rose Hips are a good source of vitamin C
- Garlic has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties
- Ginger is supposed to have anti emetic properties and is used in vomiting and nausea
- Kava is used for anxiety disorders, but potential side effect of liver damage
- Herbal teas like jasmine mint have anti-oxidants and are known to shed extra body fat
- Evening Primrose Oil is beneficial in PMS (premenstrual syndrome) and eczema, but no scientific proof
- Star Flower is associated with relieving joint stiffness and pain
- The Bromelain plant is used to reduce inflammation and indigestion
- Celery Seed is used to treat arthritis, cold and conditions of the spleen and liver
- Quercetin contain anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- Rosemary is used for improving memory, relieving muscle pain and supporting digestion